Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Peggy's Recipe and Paugh's Orchard

The Shenandoah Valley has numerous orchards, and we are blessed with a wonderful, family-owned orchard right near the cabin. We stop at Paugh's Orchard (off of 42) whenever we are in the area. This fall, Mr. and Mrs. Paugh have a wonderful selection of apples, cider, pumpkins, mums, and even butternut squash. They've recently expanded their operation and are even offering "pick your own" apples this year.


Earlier in the season, we bought bushels and bushels of apples to make our own applesauce. On our last trip, we bought Gala and Stayman apples -- perfect for apple pies. And, I don't make apple pie without having my Cousin Peggy's recipe close by. Cousin Peggy makes the best apple pie.

I haven't managed to make a decent homemade pie crust yet, but I rely on Peggy for the filling. Here is her simple, but wonderful, recipe:



Sometimes, I make a crumb crust. Other times, I use a double-crust, like last time.



Either way, it's good!

It's a beautful, fall day and more apples are waiting on the kitchen counter. Apple pie, anyone?

No comments: